This course, Cleft Palate Speech and Feeding (Pelatihan Bicara Bibir Sumbing dan Pemberian Makan) is a 5-day program that intends to provide speech-language pathologists and parents of children with cleft palate with essential strategies and information to maximize their ability to improve speech in children with cleft palate.
The objective of this course is to provide strategies and techniques to improve the speech of individuals with cleft palate. Upon completion, students or “trainees” of this course should demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and ability to provide therapy to improve the speech of individuals in this population.
Manual for the Trainer:
- Click here to download the Trainer’s Manual. The purpose of this manual is to provide an outline for professionals to train how to provide therapy to people with surgically-repaired cleft palates. This manual contains all of the information necessary to organize a course on this topic, including a list of materials, an appropriate order of presentation, and a detailed study plan for the treatment of people with cleft palate.
Documents for the Trainer:
- Click here to download all of the necessary documents for giving a course on Cleft Palate Speech and Feeding
- Sign-in sheet for the Institute
- Course Evaluation
Documents for the Participants:
- Click here to download all of the necessary documents for participating in the course on Cleft Palate Speech and Feeding
Presentations for the Classes:
- Class 1 – Anatomy and Physiology, Embryological Development
- Class 2 – How Cleft Palate Affects Speech, Evaluation of Nasals and High and Low Pressure Sounds, Common Errors in Cleft Palate
- Class 3 – Assessment, Overview of Speech Therapy, Strategies for Eliminating Compensatory Misarticulations, Acevedo Spoke
- Class 4 – Why Non-Speech Oral Motor Exercises Do Not Work
Copies of the Slides Handouts (To Print for Participants):
- Class 1– Slides Handouts for Participants
- Class 2– Slides Handouts for Participants
- Class 3– Slides Handouts for Participants
- Class 4– Slides Handouts for Participants
- (Optional) Feeding and What to do Before Surgery
- (Optional) Syndromes
- (Optional) Types of Surgical Intervention, Fistulas, and the Importance of Speech Therapy
Videos and Evaluation Materials for the Classes:
- The Trainer can download all course videos at this Google Drive link. If you have difficulty accessing the videos via Google Drive, please follow the instructions in the Trainer’s Manual for requesting the videos via email.
- Instructions for obtaining evaluation materials can be found in the Trainer’s Manual
- Preliminary exam for the Basic Introduction to the Anatomy and Physiology of Speech Production