Developed by Dr. Cate Crowley, this self-study course of video modules and assigned readings focuses on important differential diagnosis considerations for a school-age disability evaluation written report including: bilingualism, dialectal influences, academic performance, and socioeconomic status. This course is now offered for ASHA CEUs, effective January 1st, 2020.
Please read the Learning Outcomes and Course Outline and follow the directions below to complete the self-study program.
1. View and study the Video Modules for Disorder, Difference, or Gap?: A School-Age Disability Evaluation (there are 4 modules in total). To access this video playlist, click here.
2. You will need to reference the following documents: Written Bilingual School-Age Disability Evaluation
3. Read the Assigned Readings:
Burns, F. A., Villiers, P. A., Pearson, B. Z., & Champion, T. B. (2012). Dialect Neutral Indices of Narrative Cohesion and Evaluation. Language Speech and Hearing Services in Schools Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch, 43(2), 132-152.
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. (2004). Knowledge and Skills Needed by Speech Language Pathologists And Audiologist to Provide Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services [Knowledge and Skills].
4. Complete and Pass the Disorder, Difference or Gap?: A School-Age Disability Evaluation Online Assessment.
Online Assessment Instructions
This course is now offered for ASHA CEUs, effective January 1st, 2020.
- Click the link above to access the assessment page, and follow the instructions on the screen. After reading the introduction to the assessment, you will be taken to a page in which you must enter your required information.
- Information Fields
- Fill out the required information fields. This information is for ASHA reporting purposes only, and will not be distributed to third parties
- Entering your ASHA ID# is OPTIONAL. To receive the ASHA CEUs for completing this course, you must enter your ASHA ID# at the beginning of the assessment. If you do NOT wish to receive ASHA CEUs for completing this course, please enter 8 zeros (00000000). Do NOT leave this field blank.
- Passing the Assessment
- You will have 90 minutes to complete the 40 questions on this assessment
- You must answer 80% [32/40] of the questions correctly to pass the assessment. When you score 80% or better, you will be emailed a copy of your Certificate of Completion (note: Certificate of Completion is not proof of CEU credits earned)
- After you have answered all the questions, click the » (NEXT) button
- You will immediately be taken to a page revealing your score, whether or not you passed, and a breakdown of your answers
- You can take the assessment as many times as you need to pass it
- Assessment Navigation
- Use the « (PREVIOUS) and » (NEXT) buttons to move from page to page
- If you click the » (NEXT) button at the end of the test before completing all answers, your assessment will be submitted as is
- It is recommended to use Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer to complete this assessment. Google Chrome is not a recommended web browser.
- CEU Credits- This course is now offered for ASHA CEUs, effective January 1st, 2020.
- ASHA CEUs from LEADERSproject are submitted to ASHA and assessed every six months (in June and December). ASHA CEUs will be awarded within 45 days of submitting them.
- To check your ASHA CEUs, log on to your ASHA account and view your CE Registry
- If you have any questions or feedback, contact us.
When you are ready, CLICK HERE to begin the assessment.