Developed by Dr. Cate Crowley, this self-study course of video modules and assigned readings focuses on important differential diagnosis considerations for a school-age disability evaluation written report including: bilingualism, dialectal influences, academic performance, and SES. This program is offered for 0.35 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level; Professional area).
Please read the CEU Learning Outcomes and follow the directions below to complete the self-study program.
1. View and study the Video Modules for Disorder, Difference, or Gap?: A School-Age Disability Evaluation (there are 4 modules in total). To access this video playlist, click here.
2. You will need to reference the following documents: Written Bilingual School-Age Disability Evaluation
3. Read the Assigned Readings:
Burns, F. A., Villiers, P. A., Pearson, B. Z., & Champion, T. B. (2012). Dialect Neutral Indices of Narrative Cohesion and Evaluation. Language Speech and Hearing Services in Schools Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch, 43(2), 132-152.
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. (2004). Knowledge and Skills Needed by Speech Language Pathologists And Audiologist to Provide Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services [Knowledge and Skills].
4. Complete and Pass the Disorder, Difference or Gap?: A School-Age Disability Evaluation Online Assessment.
CEU Online Assessment Instructions
- Click the link above to access the assessment page, and follow the instructions on the screen. After reading the introduction to the assessment, you will be taken to a page in which you must enter your required information.
- Information Fields
- Fill out the required information fields. This information is for ASHA reporting purposes only, and will not be distributed to third parties
- Entering your ASHA ID# is OPTIONAL. To receive the ASHA CEU credits for completing this course, you must enter your ASHA ID# at the beginning of the assessment. If you do NOT wish to receive ASHA CEU credits for completing this course, please enter 8 zeros (00000000). Do NOT leave this field blank.
- Passing the Assessment
- You will have 90 minutes to complete the 40 questions on this assessment
- You must answer 80% [32/40] of the questions correctly to pass the assessment. When you score 80% or better, you will be emailed a copy of your Certificate of Completion (note: Certificate of Completion is not proof of CEU credits earned)
- After you have answered all the questions, click the » (NEXT) button
- You will immediately be taken to a page revealing your score, whether or not you passed, and a breakdown of your answers
- You can take the assessment as many times as you need to pass it
- Assessment Navigation
- Use the « (PREVIOUS) and » (NEXT) buttons to move from page to page
- If you click the » (NEXT) button at the end of the test before completing all answers, your assessment will be submitted as is
- It is recommended to use Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer to complete this assessment. Google Chrome is not a recommended web browser.
- CEU Credits
- CEU credits from LEADERSproject are submitted to ASHA and assessed every six months (in June and December). CEU credits will be awarded within 45 days of submitting them.
- To check your CEU credits, log on to your ASHA account and view your CE Registry
- If you have any questions or feedback, contact us.
When you are ready, CLICK HERE to begin the assessment.